The oldest competition in the club, this handsome shield was presented in 1937 to the club by Mr J.A. Phelp, Chairman of the General Electric Company and Director of Express Lift Co Ltd. The Phelp Shield was an inter-departmental works league played throughout the season. Teams were from all over the works, such as Machine Shop, Steel Car, Toolroom, Despatch, Stores, Maintenance, Gear Shop, Accounts, Woodwork, MASS (Managers and Senior Staff) etc. During the war the works were required to make aircraft and ammunitions for the war effort and it is interesting to note some of the Phelp Shield teams at that time. Proof Shot, Aircraft and Shell Bay.
Since the closure of the works, the Phelp Shield has been contested as a one day club fours competition.